Our program leadership is committed to maintaining an equitable interview process to match a physician workforce able to meet the needs of our community, Chicago’s South Side.
Our program’s and our applicant’s experiences with virtual interviewing over the last two years have been uniformly positive! We think you will truly enjoy your virtual interview day at the University of Chicago. Our Intern Selection Committee will continue to make thoughtful and holistic reviews of all US medical graduate applicants a top priority, taking into account pandemic-necessitated changes to medical school curricula. We will focus on applicant characteristics that predict success within our program, and will continue to exclude standardized test scores (Step 1, Step 2) in our review process.
We are unwavering in our commitment, affirmed by our mission statement, to find diverse and talented residents seeking to treat medically and socially complex patients with dignity and compassion through a broad range of longitudinal clinical, educational and research opportunities.
University of Chicago interview season timeline:
- All interviews will be virtual.
- Applicants are required to complete the ERAS 2023 MyERAS application application here.
- Completion of the ERAS Supplemental application is optional.
- Applications will be reviewed between September 28th and October 31st .
- Interview invitations will be extended starting Wednesday September 28th.
- The vast majority of our interviews will be offered by October 28th .
- We will offer additional interviews in November, December and January as openings arise.
- The interview season will run from November 3rd through January 12th .
- All applicants will be notified in mid-December if they are not selected to interview.
- We interview 12-16 applicants in the morning and 12-16 applicants in the afternoon on all interview days.
- We do offer OPTIONAL, informal virtual social events as an opportunity to interact with our housestaff.
- We will submit our FINAL rank list to ERAS on Wednesday February 1, 2023.
- If national CoVID infections/hospitalizations permit, we will host 3-4 OPTIONAL in-person open houses in February.
- Attendance will NOT impact your position on our submitted rank list
- The Program Director will provide a general overview, but no applicant will meet with any member of program leadership during the open house
- The primary goal of these open houses is to afford applicants an opportunity to meet our residents in person and visit the University of Chicago campus
General interview day schedule (all times CST):
8:45-9:00: Welcome with intern selection director/chief resident and review interview day schedule
9:00-10:30 Interviews (1 general faculty - 30 minutes, 1 blinded interview with core faculty member - 20 minutes)
Morning and Afternoon groups:
10:30-10:50: Program overview by Program Director
10:50-11:25: Q&A Panel with current residents and interns
11:30-12:15: Morning Report
12:15-1:00: Resident breakout rooms for applicants and current trainees only
1:05–1:15: Optional exit interview
1:00-1:15: Welcome with intern selection director/chief resident and review interview day schedule
1:15-2:45 Interviews (1 general faculty - 30 minutes, 1 blinded interview with core faculty member - 20 minutes)
2:45-3:00 Optional exit interview
We welcome all medical students interested in applying to the University of Chicago Internal Medicine Residency to contact us at [email protected]
Important dates for the 2022-2023 application cycle
- Applications are reviewed between: Sept 28th – Oct 31st.
- Interviews will be extended starting in late September.
- Interviews scheduled between Nov 3rd – Jan 12th.
- Notifications are sent to applicants not selected for interviews in mid-December.
- The interview dates for this year are: 7 in Nov, 6 in Dec, and 2 in Jan.
- Pandemic permitting, we will host OPTIONAL open houses in February after our rank list is submitted so you can meet our trainees in person and visit our vibrant campus on the South Side of Chicago.
How to applyThe University of Chicago participates in the National Residency Matching Program. In the past several years, the Department of Medicine has received over 4,000 applications and has selected approximately 400 candidates for interviews. Selection for interview is based on a number of factors, including academic performance and clinical performance, particularly in medicine rotations.
- Applications will be accepted only through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- You may apply through your respective Dean of Students Office.
- International Medical Graduates must apply through the ECFMG office in Philadelphia. Please call (215) 386-5900 for details.
- Three months of supervised U.S. clinical experience is a mandatory requirement. Please note that an observership or externship is not considered clinical experience.
- In addition, we will need a letter of support from your Dean of Students, Department of Medicine Chair or their designee, and from two (2) additional faculty members who have directly supervised your work.
Physician Scientist Development ProgramIn addition to the above application process:
The supplemental application form should be sent to address outlined below.
Attention: PSDP Coordinator Department of Medicine
5841 S. Maryland, MC 7082
Chicago, Illinois 60637
Phone (773) 834-5418
Fax (773) 702-2230
Email [email protected]
Please visit the Physician Scientist Development Program (PSDP) page for further information and details.